Download and listen-on-the-go to the 7th of 14 special episodes
What does it take to be the disruptor and not the disrupted? This series of special episodes provides clues. Scott and I are featuring our discussions about best-selling business books as well as our conversations with world-class business authors. (Links for Episodes 1 through 6 under Resources below).
This week we’re discussing two pairs of complementary books (four books in total) that touch on different aspects of our theme for this episode: what it takes to inspire resilience and bounce back from adversity.
In this episode, you’ll find out about:
- The importance of your purpose as a guiding force: Start with Why and Do the Kind Thing
- Communicating in a way that connects with others and inspires action: Steal The Show and Daring Greatly
- Immediately useful ideas for applying concepts from all four of these books
Pamela S. Harper is the Founding Partner and CEO of Business Advancement Inc., a strategic growth advisory firm based in Glen Rock, NJ. For more than 20 years, Pam has applied her gift for finding the hidden opportunities in every situation to helping clients in entrepreneurial, mid-market, and Fortune 500 companies across 30 industries create hundreds of millions of dollars of value in both top and bottom line growth.
Prior to founding BAI, Pam skyrocketed into the ranks of management by taking a progressive series of newly created organizational development positions is companies ranging from mid-market to Fortune 500 across multiple industries, all undergoing dramatic change and growth.
Pam has been quoted in, featured in, or written articles for prominent business media including Business Week, Investor’s Business Daily, Chiefexecutive.net, CEO.com and other major media. Her book, Preventing Strategic Gridlock, has been used as a text in universities around the world.
D. Scott Harper, Ph.D., is Sr. Partner with Business Advancement Inc. Throughout his career Scott has devoted himself to understanding why things work the way they do, and how to apply those insights to create new value. Scott helps clients sift through complexity and take full advantage of opportunities by discovering the hidden side of everything.
Before joining BAI in 2010, Scott held a succession of increasingly accountable innovation positions in the consumer healthcare industry. Since then, he has been published and quoted in prominent business media outlets including Chief Executive Magazine, CEO.com, CEO World Magazine, and the IndUS Business Journal.
Resources for This Episode
- Read about Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action, by Simon Sinek
- Read about Do the KIND Thing: Think Boundlessly, Work Purposefully, Live Passionately, by Daniel Lubetzky
- Read about Steal the Show: From Speeches to Job Interviews to Deal-Closing Pitches, How to Guarantee a Standing Ovation for All the Performances in Your Life, by Michael Port
- Read about Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead, by Brené Brown
- Listen to previous episodes of our special summer series on “Being the Disrupter and Not the Disrupted”:
- Pam Harper & Scott Harper: Pam & Scott’s Book Pairing for Thinking Differently (Episode B-1)
- Guest Terence Mauri: Winning in the Age of Disruption: Secrets of the Leader’s Mindset (Episode B-2)
- Guest Judith E. Glaser: Accelerating Trust Through Conversational Intelligence (Episode B-3)
- Pam Harper & Scott Harper: Pam & Scott’s Book Pairings for Increasing Innovation (Episode B-4)
- Guest Ron Friedman: The Secrets of Becoming The Best Place to Work (Episode B-5)
- Guest Whitney Johnson: How Constraints Can Boost Your Innovation and Growth (Episode B-6)
Just so you know, BAI is an Amazon Affiliate, and we only recommend books we believe in.
Open a Conversation With Us
Contact us with your questions and suggestions for Growth Igniters Radio.
Read the Transcript
For your convenience, we’ve transcribed this conversation, with minor edits for written clarity. Read the transcript.