How can you reclaim your ‘self’ in our complex world?
Find out by listening to episode 193. Scott and I speak with Charlene Wheeless, a renowned communications visionary, author, and keynote speaker. She leads her namesake communications and business advisory firm, Charlene Wheeless LLC, and she is the senior advisor for equity and justice at APCO Worldwide, a global advisory, and advocacy communications consultancy. She has been featured in a variety of media including Chief Executive, Business Insider, PR Week, and others.
In her new book “You Are Enough! Reclaiming Your Career and Your Life with Purpose, Passion, and Unapologetic Authenticity,” (May 2021) Charlene shares her courageous story of breaking down stereotypes and barriers while navigating her own path forward (learn more about Charlene Wheeless below).
You’ll gain insights on:
- How feelings of not “being enough” can happen to high achieving top leaders along with everyone else in an organization
- Life lessons that can be applied to anyone facing human struggles in a complex world
- Three immediately useful ideas for thinking differently to lead in a way that enables you and others to be the “best version of yourselves” regardless of the challenges
About Charlene Wheeless
Charlene Wheeless is a renowned communications visionary, author, and speaker with more than three decades of experience in business, corporate affairs, and communications. She leads her namesake communications and business advisory firm, Charlene Wheeless LLC, and she is the senior advisor for equity and justice at APCO Worldwide, a global advisory and advocacy communications consultancy.
Throughout her career, Charlene rose steadily through the ranks. In almost every job, she was “The first Black Woman to (fill in the blank)”—including in her current role as chairman of the Page Society, helping Chief Communications Officers more effectively lead their organizations to create societal value, including social justice. When Charlene became chief communications officer of a global infrastructure company several years ago, she thought she had reached the mountaintop. Then, breast cancer—a long, vicious battle turned her world upside down. Returning to work, she found herself enraged by all the years she’d spent “turning myself inside out” to conform to corporate life. She wondered, “What did I give up for this level of success?” And she started over, as she says in her new memoir You Are Enough! “Reclaiming your career and your life with purpose, passion, and unapologetic authenticity.” Read more about Charlene Wheeless
Resources for This Episode
- Learn more about Charlene’s’s book, You Are Enough! Reclaiming Your Career and Your Life with Purpose, Passion, and Unapologetic Authenticity
- Download the First Chapter of “You Are Enough!“
- Read Charlene’s Unapologetic Authenticity Blog
- Listen to our conversation with Tina Greenbaun, LCSW: “Burnout in the C-Suite: Why It Happens and How to Beat It“