How can CEOs lead civil discourse on sensitive social and political issues?
As employee stakeholder activism is continuing to rise, and CEOs are under pressure to engage in the conversation, listen to episode 205. Scott and I speak with Amy Showalter, a grassroots and Political Action Committee influence expert. She is also the author of the book, The Underdog Edge: How Everyday People Change the Minds of the Powerful. . . and Live to Tell About It.
Amy is currently a columnist for Bloomberg Government and Lobbyblog.com. Over 500 media outlets have featured her insight. This includes The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, Politico, CNN Money.com, Foxnews.com, and CNBC.com. (read more about Amy Showalter below).
You’ll gain insights on:
- The dynamics driving the growing trends of employee stakeholders’ interest in social issues, and why leaders leaders need to actively navigate these concerns
- The right way and wrong way for CEOs and other top leaders to encourage social/political conversations among employee stakeholders
- Immediately useful ideas for encouraging civil discourse among employee stakeholders with competing social and political opinions
About Amy Showalter
Amy Showalter is an expert in grass roots and Political Action Committee influence and the Founder of The Showalter Group, which helps associations and corporations increase their grassroots and PAC effectiveness. As an expert in political influence, Amy has galvanized thousands of grassroots evangelists and staff for her clients who want to advance their cause politically. She has served as a faculty member at the U.S. Chamber’s Institute for Organization Management, and as a guest lecturer at George Washington University’s Graduate School of Political Management.
Amy’s insights have been featured in over 500 media outlets, including the Washington Times, Politico.com, Fox News.com, CNBC.com, Forbes, Bloomberg Government, Lobbyblog.com, Roll Call, The Hill, and the Baltimore Sun, to name just a few. She is a regular blogger Bloomberg Government, and was engaged by Forbes for several years to write her “Politicking the Bottom Line” column for Forbes.com. She is also the author of the book, The Underdog Edge: How Everyday People Change the Minds of the Powerful. . . and Live to Tell About It. Learn more about Amy Showalter
Resources for This Episode
- Listen to the Engagement Edge Podcast with Amy Showalter
- Download sample chapter from Amy’s book, “The Underdog Edge”
- Visit PamHarperSpeaks.com to find out more about Pam’s insights on game-changing leadership in her new keynote “How Growth Igniters® Lead for Tomorrow, Starting Today”