Here’s what it takes to lead through the ambiguity of innovation – especially during major change
Download and listen- on-the-go to Episode 101. This is a “must listen” episode for any visionary leader who is growing a company. With 2017 shaping up to be a year of potentially seismic changes in political systems, the economy, and the business environment, Scott and I had to include this bonus New Year’s resolution. Mastering the art of leading innovation through major change will be a critical competency in the years ahead.
You’ll gain insights on:
- What “the gray zone of innovation” is, and how the CEO can set the stage for reducing it
- The conflicting needs that are always behind the ambiguity of innovation
- Three immediately useful ideas for creating an environment for navigating the innovation gray zone
Pamela S. Harper is the Founding Partner and CEO of Business Advancement Inc., a strategic growth advisory firm based in Glen Rock, NJ. For more than 20 years, Pam has applied her gift for finding the hidden opportunities in every situation to helping clients in entrepreneurial, mid-market, and Fortune 500 companies across 30 industries create hundreds of millions of dollars of value in both top and bottom line growth.
Prior to founding BAI, Pam skyrocketed into the ranks of management by taking a progressive series of newly created organizational development positions in companies ranging from mid-market to Fortune 500 across multiple industries, all undergoing dramatic change and growth.
Pam has been quoted in, featured in, or written articles for prominent business media including Business Week, Investor’s Business Daily, Chiefexecutive.net, CEO.com and other major media. Her critically acclaimed book, Preventing Strategic Gridlock has been called “timeliness resource.”
D. Scott Harper, Ph.D., is Sr. Partner with Business Advancement Inc. Throughout his career Scott has devoted himself to understanding why things work the way they do, and how to apply those insights to create new value. Scott helps clients sift through complexity and take full advantage of opportunities by discovering the hidden side of everything.
Before joining BAI in 2010, Scott held a succession of increasingly accountable innovation positions in the consumer healthcare industry. Since then, he has been published and quoted in prominent business media outlets including Chief Executive Magazine, CEO.com, CEO World Magazine, and the IndUS Business Journal.
Resources for This Episode
- Download “5 Questions To Ask When You Need to Move Even Faster”
- Download stakeholder checklist: “Expanding Your Company’s Perspectives by adding Eyes and Ears“
- Listen to related Growth Igniters Radio episodes:
- Pam Harper and Karissa Thacker: Making Tough Choices Easier by Being an Authentic Leader (Episode 89)
- Pam Harper & Scott Harper: The Key to Moving Fast Enough When Everything is Important (Episode 73)
- Pam Harper & Scott Harper: Confronting Elephants in the Room: What We Can Learn From Chris Rock and the Oscars (Episode 57)
- Guest Colin Day: Contrarian Leadership for a Culture of Success (Episode 27)
- Guest Arthur Fox: The Secrets of Creating an Environment For Innovation (Episode 10)
Open a Conversation With Us
Contact us with your questions and suggestions for Growth Igniters Radio.
Read the Transcript
For your convenience, we’ve transcribed this conversation, with minor edits for written clarity. Read the transcript for this episode.