How can confronting an “elephant in the room” lead to significant progress?
Listen on the go as Scott and I discuss the good that can happen from bringing into the open a tough issue that everyone knows is there but nobody wants to talk about.
As an example, we use the story of how Chris Rock’s calling out the lack of racial diversity when he hosted the 2016 Oscars marked a turning point for new conversations that led to a significant increase in inclusivity at the 2018 Academy Awards.
In this episode, gain insights on:
- How to decide the role you need to play in facing down an elephant in the room
- The least talked about issue that causes elephants in the room to grow
- FAQs for creating the new conversations it takes to surface and resolve elephant issues
Pamela S. Harper is the Founding Partner and CEO of Business Advancement Inc., a strategic growth advisory firm based in Glen Rock, NJ. For more than 20 years, Pam has applied her gift for finding the hidden opportunities in every situation to helping clients in entrepreneurial, mid-market, and Fortune 500 companies across 30 industries create hundreds of millions of dollars of value in both top and bottom line growth.
Prior to founding BAI, Pam skyrocketed into the ranks of management by taking a progressive series of newly created organizational development positions is companies ranging from mid-market to Fortune 500 across multiple industries, all undergoing dramatic change and growth.
Pam has been quoted in, featured in, or written articles for prominent business media including Business Week, Investor’s Business Daily, Chiefexecutive.net, CEO.com and other major media. Her book, Preventing Strategic Gridlock, has been used as a text in universities around the world.
D. Scott Harper, Ph.D., is Sr. Partner with Business Advancement Inc. Throughout his career Scott has devoted himself to understanding why things work the way they do, and how to apply those insights to create new value. Scott helps clients sift through complexity and take full advantage of opportunities by discovering the hidden side of everything.
Before joining BAI in 2010, Scott held a succession of increasingly accountable innovation positions in the consumer healthcare industry. Since then, he has been published and quoted in prominent business media outlets including Chief Executive Magazine, CEO.com, CEO World Magazine, and the IndUS Business Journal.
Resources for This Episode
- Request our complimentary Harper Report: How To Take Control of the “Elephant in the Room”
- Listen to Growth Igniters Radio episode 56: Using the Power Of Improvisation to Boost Organizational Momentum
- Read about Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead, by Dr. Brené Brown
- Read 2016 Variety Article: Academy Overhauls Membership, Voting Rules to Promote Oscar Diversity
- Read 2018 Article: At this year’s Oscars, diverse forces agitated for change
Read the Episode 135 Transcript
For your convenience, we’ve transcribed this conversation, with minor edits for written clarity. Read the transcript.
Open a Conversation With Us
Contact us with your questions and suggestions for Growth Igniters Radio.