Have you ever wondered how great leaders live a life worth remembering?
We first spoke with Dr. Jann Freed about the issue of legacy back in 2020 in our episode “The Secret to Living a Life of Meaning – Every Day.” This went on to become a fan favorite episode. Jann shared elements of a concept and framework she developed she calls the “Breadcrumb Legacy.”
“Dr. Jann” is a leadership development consultant, author, and speaker; a Professor of Business Management Emerita at Central College, Pella, Iowa; and an adjunct professor for the University of Iowa. She helps organizations improve employee engagement, navigate change management, and develop leaders of all ages and career stages. She has written or co-written five books, and given two popular TEDx talks. She also hosts the podcast series Becoming a Sage, where she interviews thought leaders about wisdom in work and in life.
Jann’s breadcrumbs since our initial conversation have led to a brand new book, Breadcrumb Legacy: How Great Leaders Live a Life Worth Remembering (Routledge Press). In honor of the book launch, we’re revisiting our conversation with her. She challenges us – no matter what age we are – to think differently about legacy. Rather than something we start considering at the end of our lives or careers, she says we can create a life worth remembering / starting today. Jann also shares actionable tips and strategies you can use to start creating your own Breadcrumb Legacy today.
Each day, in every small way, we leave crumbs of our legacy. Crumbs that people will remember.
– Jann Freed
This week on Growth Igniters Radio:
- Understanding the concept of a “Breadcrumb Legacy”
- The connection between being mindful of the things we do each day and creating a meaningful life
- The most challenging obstacle for leaders who are trying to build their legacy
- Three actionable steps for creating your Breadcrumb Legacy that builds a life worth remembering
Resources for This Episode:
- Learn more about Dr. Jann Freed
- Read Dr. Jann’s blog
- Podcast: Becoming a Sage
- Book: Breadcrumb Legacy: How Great Leaders Live a Life Worth Remembering
- Book: Leading with Wisdom: Sage Advice from 100 Experts
- Listen to Dr. Jann’s conversations with thought leaders (including us) in the 2020 Leadership Legacy Virtual Summit
- Find out more about Pam’s keynote “Break Orbit: Achieving Long-Term Growth in a Short-Term World”
Accelerate to YOUR Next Level of Success
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Growth Igniters® Radio. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.