We’re all faced with a constant stream of unexpected changes in the business environment. The challenge for visionary CEOs, C-Suite executives, and Boards is separating the signals of important changes from the noise. Even better, how about spotting early signals of change before they grow to have a major impact? Sometimes, it helps to take a short look backward to see how quickly a few emerging changes can become real game-changers.
That’s why, in this week’s episode, we revisit our fan-favorite conversation from 2020 with Professor Rita Gunther McGrath. We speak about detecting early signals of change in the business environment. This can help you take advantage of meaningful changes before their full impact is felt by others.
Rita McGrath is a best-selling author, a sought-after speaker, and a longtime professor at Columbia Business School. She is widely recognized as a premier expert on leading innovation and growth during times of uncertainty. Thinkers50 has recognized Rita with their #1 achievement award for strategy and has consistently named her one of the world’s Top 10 management thinkers in its bi-annual ranking. As a consultant to CEOs, her work has had a lasting impact on the strategy and growth programs of Fortune 500 companies worldwide. Our conversation with her is based on her book, Seeing Around Corners: How to Spot Inflection Points Before They Happen (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2019).
The most significant challenge is often not seeing the trends. The harder thing is to bring the organization along with you. | Rita Gunther McGrath
This week on Growth Igniters® Radio, we discuss:
- Why 10X shifts in the business landscape (known as inflection points) can seem sudden but are not
- The key to distinguishing between real signals of a disruptive inflection point and “noise”
- The critical importance of creating a wide network of open conversations that can reveal early trends that can grow into game-changing business innovations
- Three immediately useful ideas your leadership team can use to see around corners and position you for your next level of success
Resources for This Episode
- Read more about Rita McGrath and connect with her on LinkedIn
- Learn more about Rita’s Book, Seeing Around Corners, including a 1-minute trailer video
- Visit PamHarperSpeaks.com to find out more about her new keynote “Break Orbit: Leading for Long-Term Growth in a Short-Term World”
Accelerate to YOUR Next Level of Success
Thanks for listening to Growth Igniters® Radio. If you enjoyed this episode, spread the good word! Just leave a quick review wherever you get your podcasts and share on LinkedIn or Facebook.